October 7, 2008

why hello, blog!

Goals. This has been a month (or two) of setting and achieving goals.

I got a new job. Old news - I know - but a goal I had been after for almost 2 long years. I love my new job, it is everything I ever dreamed it could be during those months when I couldn't imagine getting up for work another day. When the thought of making more copies, running more errands, or hearing my boss scream at me one more time seemed like too much. But I'm out! Goal achieved. And damn that feels great.

This week I started running. I've always envied runners - they're always the coolest people in the gym, right? Running along, oblivious to all of us walking, or stair-stepping or whathaveyou. I was always jealous. Not to mention those OUTSIDE RUNNERS. How much confidence do you have to have to run outside? In front of other people? Yikes.

So running was always out for me - mainly because I'm historically about the most out of shape person I know. Even at my skinniest, I was the textbook definition of 'skinny-fat'. I could hardly make it up a flight of stairs (probably still can't.)

Sometime last year I started working out. it's been off and on, but I gradually have worked myself up to the point where 30 minutes of straight cardio on the elliptical or ergonomiter or whatever is doable survivable for me. Which is great! So now I'm doing couch to 5k (C25K).

The program can be found at Cool Running - basically it's a 9 week program that gradually gets you from a walking pace to running 5k (that's around 3 miles) straight - without overdoing it and getting discouraged. This was key for me - because I always overdo it on the first day, get injured, and then stop. Hopefully this will help.

So far I've run 2 days, Sunday and this morning. Sunday my total distance was 1.6 miles, and today it was 2 miles. Those miles are a combo of running and walking, mostly walking at this point since I'm in my first week.

And what do I have to say about the running? OUCH. My legs are killing me. Getting up to pee seems much worse than just holding it. The idea that I'm going to get up and have to run again one more day this week is awful. Aargh. However, I've made it through two of them, so hopefully I'll keep going.

I also saw the scale dip under 150 today for the first time in many moons. That made me happy. I'd really like to get under 130 someday, but under 150 is pretty good for now.

In other news (and other goals), I finally completed my Eat Street font project - you can find it here. My internship has a few more weeks to go, and overall I'd say it was pretty successful.

Went to the Ani concert on Friday. It was awesome (as usual). My sister and I went last year, and then went again this year. We had dinner at Solera - which was amazing! 8 little dishes of fabulous gourmet food....to die for. The concert was rockin', and it was cool to hang with the little sis.



Bean got another lion cut. (I told him if he wouldn't let me brush him he would get one) Not really a goal, but gives me a chuckle every day. He looks so tiny!



I've started trying to clean a little bit every day - which has greatly helped my weekend workload. I'm trying to keep one day (Saturday) for resting and relaxing, but usually I spend that day cleaning. Now I vacuum pretty much every day (thank you roomba!), clean the kitchen one day, bathroom one day, etc. So all I have to do on the weekends is garbage and laundry. It's amazing.

Wow. Boring post, huh? Another goal on my list is to blog 3x per week. If I can run 3x a week, then by-God I should be able to blog, right? I just need to do it! So here I go.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Yeah!!
I'm starting training for my first 5k too!
Thanks for the link to the Cool Running site, I get sooo sore and discouraged. I hope you have success!!